Eta Australia

ETA 601 Visa

Visa Information:

Duration of Stay:
The ETA visa is valid for 12 months. You can enter Australia any time your ETA is valid and stay for up to 3 months at a time.
With ETA (Subclass 601) you can:
The ETA visa can be used for the following activities:
Travel (cruise, have a holiday or visit family and friends).
Study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa.
Make general business or employment enquiries.
With ETA (Subclass 601) you can't:
The ETA can't be used for the activities below:
Work for or provide services to a business or organisation based in Australia.
Sell goods or services directly to the public.

Visa Reuirements:

Eligible Countries:
You can apply for an ETA online if you are a passport holder of one of the following countries:
- Brunei
- Canada
- Hong Kong (SAR PRC)
- Japan
- Malaysia
- Singapore
- Korea, Rep of (South Korea)
- United States
Character Requirements:
If you have a criminal record, in certain circumstances you may not pass the character requirement. These circumstances include:
If you have a substantial criminal record, that is, you’ve been sentenced to a cumulative prison time of 12 month or more.
If you have been convicted of escaping from immigration detention.
If you have been involved in people smuggling, people trafficking, genocide, a war crime, a crime against humanity, a crime involving torture or slavery.
If you are subject to an Interpol notice.


How long does ETA last for?

An ETA is valid for 1 year from the visa grant date. You can go in and out of Australia as many times as you like during the 1 year validity period, but you can only stay for up to 3 months on each visit.

Can I extend my visa?

No, you cannot extend this visa. But you can apply for another visa.
If you want to stay longer as a visitor, you might be eligible for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) Tourist stream (apply in Australia).
If you want to stay longer for other reasons (such as work or study), you may be able to apply for a new visa that suits your circumstances.

Can I apply from Australia?

No. You must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa and when this visa is granted.

What happens if my passport expires?

Your ETA is attached to your current passport. If your current passport expires or if you get a new passport, your ETA will cease and you must apply for a new visa.
Make sure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months after the end of your travel period.

How long before my trip should I apply for an ETA?

Even if processing times for the ETA visa are relatively quick, we strongly recommend you to apply for your ETA a few weeks before your planned departure date. This is to ensure that you have enough time to solve any bureaucratic issues that may arise.

How do I know if my ETA is still valid?

If you have applied through Australia Online Visa, you can contact our customer service team to know the current status of your ETA.

Alternatively, you can contact your travel agent or airline office and they can check for you.

I’m ready to fly to Australia on my ETA, is there anything I should be aware of?

Australian board security officers perform random checks at the airport to find out whether travellers are bringing illegal items into Australia or whether they are coming to work.

So make sure that you do not bring any illegal item with you (such as illegal drugs, prohibited food, weapons, etc) or any item that could imply that you are coming to Australia to work (such as copies of your CV, work equipment, etc). Border security could also check your phone for evidence that you are coming to work (coming for a work interview is fine).

Can I include family on my visa?

No. You can't include family members in your application. A separate application must be made for each member of your family, including those listed on your passport.

Is health insurance compulsory?

No, but we recommend you take out health insurance to cover any unforeseen medical treatment you might need in Australia. You are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia and an insurance can help limit your financial liability. BUPA is the official Australian Government’s health insurance provider.

Do I need a label/sticker on my passport?

No. The ETA is linked to your passport electronically so you don’t need a stamp or label in your passport.

Can I get the visa even if I have a criminal record?

It depends on the extent of your criminal records, in fact, to pass the Australian ‘character test’ you must not have any ‘substantial criminal record’.  You have a substantial criminal record for the purposes of the character test in the Migration Act if you have been:

- sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 12 months or more.
- sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (even if served concurrently) where the total is 12 months or more.
- sentenced to death or imprisonment for life.
- found by a court to not be fit to plead in relation to an offence but found to have committed the offence and detained in a facility or institution.

When applying for your visa, you must declare all criminal conduct you have engaged in, truthfully answer all questions and provide all requested information.

My return flight to leave Australia is scheduled after my ETA expires! What now?

To avoid becoming illegal in Australia, you will have to apply for another visa before your current ETA expires. Otherwise, you will become unlawful and you may be detained and expelled from Australia.

If you are in Australia, you can call the Department of Home Affair national telephone line on 131 881 to get assistance.

Can I work on an ETA?

The only activities you can perform on an ETA are the ‘business visitor activities’ such as:

- making general business or employment enquiries.
- investigating, negotiating, entering into or reviewing a business contract.
- activities relating to official government to government visits and participation in a conference, trade fair or seminar unless there is payment for participation.

For example, an executive board member may attend a meeting on a business visitor visa provided they do not undertake work duties on behalf of an Australian business.

You cannot:

- work for or supply services to an organisation or person in Australia.
- supply services or direct sell goods to the public (retail) or enter the Australian labour market or the retail trade.
Australian Visas
Work VisasTravel VisasAustralia's Travel Visas GuideOur Blog Articles