eVisitor Visa for Australia

eVisitor 651 Visa

The eVisitor Visa for Australia is similar to other electronic Visas like the US Esta or the Canadian ETA. The Australian eVisitor authorization has been introduced only in 2008 as a mutual arrangement between governments to facilitate short stay travel.

The eVisitor program allows nationals from several Countries to travel for tourism or business purposes in Australia, eliminating the need to present paper application to the embassy or consulate.  

eVisitor Information:

Duration of Stay:

The eVisitor is valid for 12 months. You can enter Australia any time after your eVisitor is granted and stay for up to 3 months at a time.

With eVisitor (class 651) you can:

The eVisitor visa can be used for the following activities:
Travel (cruise, have a holiday or visit family and friends).
Study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa.
Make general business or employment enquiries.

With eVisitor (class 651) you can't:

eVisitor can't be used for the activities below:
Work for or provide services to a business.
Sell goods or services directly to the public.

eVisitor Requirements:

Eligible Countries:

You can apply for an eVisitor Visa if you're a passport holder of one of the following countries:
- Austria
- Belgium
- Bulgaria
- Croatia
- Cyprus
- Czech Republic
- Denmark
- Estonia
- Finland
- France
- Germany
- Greece
- Hungary
- Iceland
- Ireland
- Italy
- Latvia
- Liechtenstein
- Lithuania
- Luxembourg
- Malta
- Monaco
- The Netherlands
- Norway
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania
- San Marino
- Slovakia
- Slovenia
- Spain
- Sweden
- Switzerland
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City

Character Requirements:

If you have a criminal record, in certain circumstances, you may not pass the character requirements. These circumstances include:
If you have a substantial criminal record, that is, you’ve been sentenced to a cumulative prison time of 12 month or more.
If you have been convicted of escaping from immigration detention.
If you have been involved in people smuggling, people trafficking, genocide, a war crime, a crime against humanity, a crime involving torture or slavery.
If you are subject to an Interpol notice.

EVisitor 651 FAQ

How long does an eVisitor last for?

An eVisitor lasts for 12 months from the visa grant date. During the 12-month validity period, you can leave and enter Australia as many times as you want, but you can only stay for maximum 3 months on each time you visit Australia.

Can I extend my visa?

Unfortunately, there is no renewal option. However, you can always apply for a different visa to remain in Australia, if you meet the requirements of that visa.
For example, you could be eligible for a Visitor visa (subclass 600).

If you want to stay longer to work or study, as an example, you could apply for a new visa that suits your circumstances.

Can I apply from Australia?

No. You have to be outside Australia both when you apply and when you get granted the eVisitor visa.

What happens if my passport expires?

Your eVisitor is attached to your current valid passport. If your current valid passport expires or if you obtain a new passport, your eVisitor will cease and you will need to apply for a new visa.

Just make sure that when you apply for your eVisitor your passport is valid for at least 6 months after the end of your 12-month visa period.

When should I apply for my eVisitor?

It is always better to apply a few weeks before your intended travel date, even if processing times for the eVisitor visa are generally fast. This is to make sure that you have enough time to fix any possible issues.

How can I check my eVisitor validity?

If you used our services to apply for your eVisitor, just contact our office and our friendly staff will let you know the status of your eVisitor. Alternatively, you can check it yourself here

I just realised that my eVisitor will expire before my return flight. What can I do?

You don’t want to become illegal in Australia, so you will need to get another visa before your eVisitor expiry date.

If your eVisitor expires and you don’t have a visa, you will become unlawful and you could be arrested and expelled from Australia. If you find yourself in this situation, call the Department of Home Affair line on 131 881 to obtain assistance.

Can I include family on my visa?

No, the eVisitor visa is an individual application. Your family members, including those listed on your passport, will need to apply for their own eVisitor visa.

Is health insurance compulsory?

No, but it is strongly recommended to take get a health insurance for any unforeseen medical treatment you might need in Australia. You will have to pay for your healthcare costs in Australia therefore an insurance could help you limit your expenses.

Do I need a label/sticker on my passport?

No. The eVisitor visa is electronically linked to your passport therefore you don’t need a stamp or label in your passport.

Can I get the visa even if I have a criminal record?

Yes, provided you pass the Australian 'character test' by not having any 'substantial criminal record'.  For immigration purposed, you have a substantial criminal record if you have been:

- sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 12 months or more.
- sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (even if served concurrently) where the total is 12 months or more.
- sentenced to death or imprisonment for life.
- found by a court to not be fit to plead in relation to an offence but found to have committed the offence and detained in a facility or institution.

When applying for your visa, you be asked to declare any criminal records that you have.

Can I work on an eVisitor?

The short answer is NO. However, you can perform the following ‘business visitor activities’:

- making general business or employment enquiries.
- investigating, negotiating, entering into or reviewing a business contract.
- activities relating to official government to government visits and participation in a conference, trade fair or seminar unless there is payment for participation. 

For example, an executive board member may attend a meeting on a business visitor visa provided they do not undertake work duties on behalf of an Australian business.

You cannot:

- work for or supply services to an organisation or person in Australia.
- supply services or direct sell goods to the public (retail) or enter the Australian labour market or the retail trade.

I’m ready to fly down under, anything else I should be aware of?

Yes. Given your eVisitor does not allow you to work, make sure that you are not carrying with you any item that could imply that you are coming to Australia to work (like copies of your CV, work tools, etc).

Border security officers are pretty strict with this. They could also check your phone for evidence that you are coming to work such as emails, messages, etc (however, coming for a work interview is fine).

Also, Australian border security randomly check travellers to find out whether they are bringing illegal items into Australia, so make sure that you do not bring any illegal item with you (such as illegal drugs, prohibited food, weapons, etc).
Australian Visas
Work VisasTravel VisasAustralia's Travel Visas GuideOur Blog Articles