Working Holiday Visa

australiaonlinevisa logo
[ August 26, 2019 ]

The Working Holiday program is for people from specific countries who want to travel to Australia on a holiday and work to pay their travel expenses. Visa holders can extend their visa by working in rural (“regional”) areas under certain conditions. This program includes two different visa categories: Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462).

Benefits of WHV

There are a range of personal and professional benefits to doing the Working Holiday Maker program. It’s an incredible opportunity for self-discovery, growth and learning. You'll meet new people, learn about new cultures and develop new skills and interests. At the end, you will have acquired certain skills to help you stand out from the crowd. Prospective employers will see that you have courage, curiosity, maturity, open-mindedness and independence - all because you spent time travelling, discovering, learning and exploring. And you will perfect your English!

Book a consultation with us to get an Assessment of your visa situation

Applicant Requirements

The Working Holiday Maker program has two types of visas: Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) depending on your nationality (read below for lists of countries eligible). You must apply for this visa before you arrive. This visa will let you:

  • stay and work in Australia for up to 12 months, with the limitation of maximum 6 month with the same employer.
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while your visa is valid.
  • study for a maximum of four months in Australia in addition to working during your holiday.

You will need to meet certain health, character and financial requirements and declare that you will respect Australian values and obey Australian laws before a visa is granted. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia. Health insurance is not compulsory but strongly recommended. You can purchase an Overseas Visitor health cover through this link.To be eligible to apply, you must be between 18 and 30 years old (inclusive) except people from Canada, France and Ireland can be between 18 and 35 years old (inclusive). You will need to book a return ticket and have enough money to fund your first period of stay. You are not obliged to take out health insurance, but we strongly recommend this for your peace of mind. You can get the appropriate Overseas Visitor health cover through this link.

Which visa should I apply for?

You can apply the Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) if you are from: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the UK. You can apply the Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) if you are from: Argentina, Austria, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, the USA and Vietnam. This list may change from time to time, so make sure you check the Department of Home Affairs website for the latest updates.

How can I Apply for Working Holiday Visa and Work And Holiday Visa?

You must apply for your first visa from outsideAustralia before your trip. If you want to extend your stay in Australia and apply for a second visa, you must have completed 3 months of specified work while holding your first Working Holiday visa. If you want to stay even longer in Australia and apply for a third visa, you must have completed 6 months of specified work while holding your second Working Holiday visa. 

How long can I stay in Australia with a Working Holiday Visa?

Once you have your visa, you can stay in Australia for 1 year, and you can work full time. However, you can only work for a maximum of 6 months with one single employer. After 6 months, you will need to find another job. During the validity of your visa, you can travel in and out of Australia as much as you want, and you can even study for up to 4 months.

Working Holiday Visa extension

If you want to stay longer than 1 year, you may be able to apply for a second Working Holiday visa which will let you stay for an extra 1 year. To be eligible, you must have completed 3 months specified work in regional areas of Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa. Not all work counts for this second year visa. As a result, before you start the 3-month work, make sure you check that the work you are undertaking and the regional area of Australia is eligible under the Department’s guidelines.You can also qualify for the 3rd year, to extend your WHV you’ll need to complete 6 months of specified work during your second year to qualify.

Australian Visas
Work VisasTravel VisasAustralia's Travel Visas GuideOur Blog Articles